Thursday, May 13, 2010

Something Old.....Into Something New

A couple days ago I went to a local consignment shop (and those who know me know I am a sucker for junk shopping). I went into the junk shop looking for something to put into a corner of my Dinning room, because I just recently moved some furniture around and that corner just looked so bland. Marty was not to thrilled when I told him "Honey, I am going out junk shopping". But, he knows how I am. I am pretty thrifty, if I am questioning the price of something and I have to make an excuse to justify the purchase. Then I will not buy it, so he does not have to worry to much. Back to the table. I knew I had some stain from a project that I was supposed to do YEARS ago, but never got around to doing it.


So, this is what the table looked like before...




I used the Miniwax spray stain.

Spray on your 1st coat and allow it to dry for two hours. Then after the two hours spray on a second coat. After the four hours are over, the stain did not look dark enough for me.

See what I mean. It doesn't look any darker from the 1st coat.


So, I thought of a show I watch that comes on MPT on Saturday mornings call "She's Crafty" or something of that sort. She showed how to make a stain by watering down some brown Acrylic paint. To apply, use a old piece of cloth and dab it on the furniture to give it an antique look

Once I did that, I was really impressed. That technique made it look like an old table. When the paint dries, spray a sealer on it so the table can keep its look.


Annnnnd here is the table. I think I did a really good job.





No comments:

Post a Comment