Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Fern Coasters

I soooo loved this project........


We had a 1st communion/cookout party at our house on Sunday for Courtney and I always wanted coasters but all the ones that I liked were WAYYYYYY to expensive. When I saw the demonstration on Martha Stewart's show I was relieved because they are so easy to make. When I was done making them I was really impressed because they looked as if they could be sold in the store. Marty seriously thought I brought new coasters until he saw the mess I made around my crafting section in my basement.



So here we go, lets make some coasters........


First you will need to get all of your supplies

-Iron-on transfer paper for light fabrics ( you can use Avery or Wilton brand)
-1/4-inch thick sheet balsa wood
-Iron
-mat knife or utility knife
-sand paper (150-grit)
-clear gloss oil-based polyurethane
-Adhesive cork drawer liner
-Fern coaster template



****All of these supplies you can find at your local craft store and if you use the coupons you can get discounts on the most expensive items*****


To print the Fern coaster template click here. Once the template is printed you can iron it onto your iron-on transfer paper and cut away extra paper around the design.




Place balsa wood on a flat, heat-resistant surface (do not use an ironing board). Pressing firmly iron the designs onto the balsa wood, FOLLOWING transfer paper manufacturer's instructions. The paper should completely adhere in about 30 seconds


Allow paper to completely cool for 5-10 mins and remove protective backing. With your utility knife, cut out squares along white lines. Sand edges lightly with a fine sandpaper.




Coat front and sides of coasters with the polyurethane, allowing to dry completely for 2hrs and sanding. Repeat this step 4 more times (Oh Yeah....this project takes a whopping 10 hours)




Lastly,place the back of each coaster onto sticky side of adhesive cork drawer liner. Trim cork around coaster with utility knife.





Now..... you are ready to host a awesome Party with your new homemade coasters.








No comments:

Post a Comment