Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Faux yarn balls with felt mums

I know it has been ages since I've last blogged. But homeschooling an 8year old, constantly taking care of an 2 year old and taking care of a pregnant mommy (myself) and all the other household duties. Blogging was just not in my vocab at the time.

Now, that I finally scrapped myself from my living room couch. I can say that I am ready to craft again. and I started by making a new center piece for my dinning room table. I was so tired of looking at the faux-flowers. I knew I had some felt left over and since I started to crochet I had the yarn. Since I liked to create from what I already have. I didn't run out to the crafting stores to buy some styrofoam balls. So I used what I had.

Materials:
An old magazine
Yarn (any color)
Soft felt
Glue gun
Thread and needle
Tape

First I started off by making the yarn balls. You can do them in any order (of course). But, you take at least 5-6 pieces of magazine paper, depending on how big you want your balls (I swear I am not using that frase like it sounds). Magazine paper is more flexible than other types of paper because it is so thin, you can make the balls tighter.

After you got your balls to the right size then you put tape around it to hold any loose pieces of paper in place. Now it is time to start gluing your yarn.

I would say wrap the yarn around 10-12 times before changing directions. Keep wrapping until the the entire ball is covered with yarn.









Felted Mum



Since fall mums are typically yellow, Burgundy and orange you can use those colors or any that you can. But, I used yellow and pink.



First start off buy cutting out your pedals which should be cut in a + (addition sign) shape. A standard size mum needs no more than 12 pedals. Then you cut a 2" circle and start sewing on your pedals along the outside and working your way in. The tighter you pull on the pedal it will make it look like the shape of a U.



Once all of the pedals have been sewn on, then you can cut out your leaves using the green felt. Mum leaves usually have three leaves on each side.





Also, you need to cut out a 2" diameter circle, the same color as the leaves to cover up all the work.




The wah-lah you are finish. A quick and easy project you can do to make your house look more fall like.




No comments:

Post a Comment