Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Homemade Advent Calendar

I have to say we are embarking on one of my most favorite holidays.......Christmas.

Since I've been married we have had the most fun with our advent calendar. I really can't remember having one as a child. The last three years seeing Courtney wake up in the morning to open one of the perforated windows on the calendar makes me excited for some reason. But I do have to say our advent calendar has taken a beating the last couple years.
So I thought to myself.... I have all this time on my hands. Why not make a homemade advent calendar that Courtney, Kat and Christina (the little joy in the oven) could last us for years and years to come and any other children we might have in the future.


I started looking online because I was not sure how I should start my calendar. I came across these images and pulled bits and pieces from each.

(Pottery Barn Kids)



This is what I've gotten done so far




I have to say the worst part is over. Which was embroidering all those numbers on to the pockets. This calendar is going to be a combination candy and decorating. In no particular order half of the pockets will have some candy and the rest of the pockets will have little felt decorations to decorate the tree on top on the calendar. That's what the buttons are for on the tree.


I still have to attach the tree and pockets to the main part of the fabric and under each pocket their will be a bible reading to meditate on for the day. I am hoping to get all of this done over the Thanksgiving break. Between the long car ride and the all of the children to play with at my sister in-laws, I won't have to worry about the kids getting in the way. LOL


I am not the best at decorative stitching but I'm pretty sure after this project I'll be ready to go pro.


I will post the final picture before the 1st of December (hopefully).





No comments:

Post a Comment